Week at a Glance:
Thurs, Feb 6
- Carnaval Event
- Grade 5 Girls Basketball Game – Sangster and John Stubbs @ Savory
Fri, Feb 7
- No Hot Lunch Today – Please send your child(ren) with a lunch
- PAC Pancake Day
Mon, Feb 10
- Grade 5 Boys Basketball Game – David Cameron and John Stubbs @ Lakewood
- Ski Trip Parent Meetings – 8:00-8:30am or 3:00-3:30pm (see below for more information)
Tues, Feb 11
- Poppin’ for Peeps – Elementary $1/bag
- Grade 6 Volleyball @ St. Michaels
Wed, Feb 12
- Pizza – Middle School $3/Slice
- Gr 7 Girls Volleyball @ Rockheights
To report your student’s absence(s) please do one of the following:
- call the attendance line at 250-478-0667 and leave a message with your child’s full name and teacher and date(s) of absence; or
- email email@example.com. Please put the date(s) of the absence, name of your student and teacher’s name in the subject line in the email.
Our annual PAC Pancake Day will be taking place on Friday, Feb. 7.
All students in grades KG-8 will be served pancakes, sausages, and orange slices with their classes throughout the day. GF pancakes and sausages and turkey sausages will also be available.
As this event is taking place all day on Friday, there will be no hot-lunch service on Feb. 7. Please remember to send your student with a non-breakable plate, cutlery and a lunch on that day.
We would love to have your help in making and serving pancakes on Feb. 7. Please sign up here if you can volunteer: https://signup.com/go/EFaRkLi
~John Stubbs PAC
Please note as there will be no hot lunch on Friday Feb 7 it is important to send your child with a lunch. Classes will be brought down throughout the day for Pancakes.
UPCOMING NON-INSTRUCTIONAL DAY
Friday February 14 is a non-instructional day – No School.
MIDDLE SCHOOL MOUNT WASHINGTON SKI TRIP
The annual Mt Washington Ski trip will be on March 4, 2020. If your child is interested in attending the ski trip a parent must attend one of four parent information sessions.
The Parent Information Sessions are:
Feb 5 8:00-8:30am or 6:00-6:30pm
Feb 10 8:00-8:30am or 3:00-3:30pm
Please send an email with “Washington” in the subject line confirming the parent information session you will attend firstname.lastname@example.org
A NOTE FROM OUR SOCIAL JUSTICE CLUB
- PaintNite Fundraiser:
Are you the next Claude Monet, or perhaps more of a paint-by-number type of person? Either way come join us February 26th at 7pm for a night out at Ma Miller’s pub to enjoy a beverage and create a masterpiece to take home. All proceeds will go to support Ecole John Stubbs drama program. Click on the link below to sign up.
- Warm Welcome Hot Chocolate Sale February 6th:
The Social Justice club is fundraising to help sponsor a refugee family here in Victoria and give them a warm welcome. Students will be selling hot chocolate for a dollar (50 cents with your own cup) and snacks for 50 cents to two dollars.
- Kind-y-Grams February 12th:
Everyone could use a little more positivity, the social justice club will be selling “Kind”y-Grams for a dollar until February 11th to spread positive messages with a sweet surprise. All proceeds go to support sponsoring a refugee family.
- Coldest Night Campaign until February 21st.
The Social Justice club will once again be collecting new and gently used items of clothing to help bring warmth to families suffering from home insecurity. There will be a competition between middle school classes with a prize for the class with the most donations. All donations will be brought to Our Place to be distributed to those in need. For more information check out https://www.ourplacesociety.com/
ELEMENTARY SPRING CONCERT
Our Spring Concert dates have been set and we have begun working on the music! Here is some information regarding the concerts:
- Dates: Tuesday, March 3rd, and Wednesday March 4th, 2020 (Note: your child’s class will perform on one of these two dates- see below for class lists)
- Concert times: Both dates will have 1:00 PM and 6:00 PM shows which are open to families and friends. We will hold a dress rehearsal at 9:00 AM that is just for students at the school.
- Drop off: For the evening concert, please drop off your child in their classroom at 5:40.
- Concert Location: The Ecole John Stubbs Middle School Gym
- What to wear: We encourage students to look their best, but there is no theme/dress code. Patterns, solid colours, nice jeans, dress pants, skirts, dresses, etc. are all just fine!
- Elementary Choir: Choir members will have the option of performing in BOTH concerts. Please see the elementary choir website for information as to where they should go each night! johnstubbsmusic.weebly.com/elementary-choir.html
Concerts will be approximately one hour in duration. Out of respect to all students performing, we ask that you stay until the end of the concert.
|Classes performing on March 3rd will be:
||Classes performing on March 4th will be:
TC10K – ECOLE JOHN STUBBS MIDDLE SCHOOL TEAM
John Stubbs will have a Middle School Team for the Times Colonist 10K race held on Sunday April 26th 2020! Race time is at 8:00am. More information about the race can be found at: https://runsport.ca/tc10k/
We will not be having after school practices, but Mme Gage will be participating in the race. If you email Mme Gage, (Subject TC10K and your child’s name) she will also forward you a simple training plan created by a parent to help you and your child prepare for the race.
- If your child will participate, you need to register them online and pay the $39 entrance fee. If do so by Jan 31st you will get that rate as prices go up by $10 on Feb 1st. When you sign up remember to select “Students & Teachers on TC10K School Teams” and choose Ecole John Stubbs from the list.
- Train with your child if you can! Once I have your email, I can forward you the training plan.
- Get your child to the race on race day 🙂 I will send out an email closer to the time with the specifics.
If you want to participate in the race, feel free to sign up under our team!
The Action D’Amis club has started a HAT, SCARF, MITT AND SOCK COLLECTION to benefit the homeless. If you possibly can donate one (or two or three…?) NEW items for the basket in the Student Support Area, the club would be most grateful. We intend to send valentines notes along with our donation. Donations due by Feb 7th and THANK YOU/MERCI in advance! Charlotte Friend
JOHN STUBBS MIDDLE SCHOOL YEARBOOKS NOW ON SALE!
Middle School Yearbooks are NOW on sale for $30. This year, a “Zoom” insert of Current Events will be included with the purchase of each Yearbook!
The FASTEST and EASIEST way to order the Yearbook is online with a credit card at https://ybpay.lifetouch.ca/ You will need to enter the Yearbook ID Code -12895420 and search for your child to purchase a yearbook.
If you would like to pay via cash/cheque, please have your child see Kelly in the office. Cheques need to be made out to SD62.
Thank you for supporting the Yearbook Team as we work hard to capture the memories of the 2019/20 School Year!
If you have any questions, please contact Mme Gage at email@example.com
SCHOLASTIC FRENCH BOOK FAIR
The Scholastic French Book Fair is coming soon! The book fair will be open to students and parents February 18-24th, before and after school as well as during lunch hour. Each class will have the opportunity to go through the book fair during their usual library time and write up a “wish list” to bring home. As always these events rely upon volunteers. Please click on the link and sign up for some time with us at the fair!